Monday, October 7, 2013

Hand Drawn Autumn

Untitled 
Sometimes I order a bundle of fabric thinking "Well it's really pretty, but not really me, I'll make something and sell it." That's what happened when I ordered Hand Drawn by Anna Maria Horner (and it's accompanying solids bundle) from Westwood Acres. It's gorgeous fabric, but it's not me. And I thought that, the entire time I was making the quilt.
Hand Drawn Autumn
I decided to do simple patchwork - which I've been doing a lot of lately - because I was determined to try something new - orange peel quilting. Of course I'm still trying to get brave enough to FMQ on an actual quilt, so I followed this lovely tutorial for orange peel quilting with a walking foot.
Orange Peel quilting
Add caption
My friend Cassi gave me the very helpful hint of using a circle for marking out the quilting design. It needs to fit inside 4 of the squares. My squares finished at 4.5" so my circle is 9" in diameter. And Sandra at Small Town Thread finally convinced me that Crayola Washable markers are a safe and truly washable way to mark quilts. (And they really are! I washed the quilt twice before drying because I was paranoid, but after the second wash I realized that what I feared was marker left in the quilt was actually just the way my grey thread was reading on the light cream fabric. It washed out completely!)
image
I was a little wobbly with some of my quilting, but overall it went really really well. I love how it turned out! And when I hung it up on my wall I realized I love it too much to part with it (and hubby really likes it too and asked that we keep it!)

Quilt Stats:
Fabric: Hand Drawn by Anna Maria Horner (and coordinating solids - not sure who made them)
Size: 51" x 60"
I used Hobbs 80/20 Batting and Aurifil grey thread, 50 wt.

11 comments:

  1. love this one - just fantastic in every way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautful! Will have to try the crayola marker trick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its beautiful....... thanks for passing on the tip. The markers come out of furniture and carpet so why not Quilts , makes since to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Isn't it great when you realize that a project IS you after all? I'm also a worrier about marking pens and am gaining confidence with using Frixion pens (I test it everywhere!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh! I just read about using a washable crayola for the first time over on Twin Fibers. Why haven't I heard of this before?! What a fab idea. Your orange peels are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that line, I really need to get me some! It looks so beautiful with the matching solids, and good job with the quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO GORGEOUS! I understand why you can't part with it:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It so nice and perfect for fall! So glad those markers washed out. I kind of think think they should be called mostly washable markers. I've found that some of them don't come out of things. I wonder if it has to do with which colors they are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's gorgeous too! Love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice that your husband wanted to keep it. Your quilting looks really good. I love the backing. It reminds me of library books.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!
I get a lot of spam, so I apologize for the word verification. I moderate comments on older posts, so it may take a short while to appear. Thanks!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips