Monday, September 30, 2013

Hexie Pillow Palooza

Back in August I was browsing Lori Holt's Instagram Feed, and I came across this gorgeous quilt, that appears in her upcoming book! It's so cute!! As I sat there wiping drool off my phone I remembered that Badskirt has a tutorial for a free bee paper piecing pattern, and my mind started plotting. I love the colorful look of Lori's quilt, even though it isn't hexies, but the Badskirt bee's are probably the cutest thing I've ever seen in a paper piecing pattern. And then this was born:
Sweet As Honey Pillow
Sweet As Honey Pillow
I based my colors on that adorable bee print (from Field Day by Josephine Kimberling), and cut my hexies to the same size that the badskirt hexie bees finished. It is machine pieced, quilted and bound. The pillow backing is just a simple envelope closure, and it fits a 12" pillow form.
My sweet little B keeps trying to steal it. It will randomly disappear, usually under her tush while she's watching TV, or I'll find a stuffed friend tucked in for a nap using it. She knows she's my honey bee, so I can't blame her. 
-------
Sometime last year I started piecing rainbow hexie flowers. I had no real plan for them, just started piecing them. And last month I finally figured out a use for them!
Hexie Pillow
I machine appliqued the hexie flowers onto pillow covers. Quick and easy....except for that hand piecing the hexies part. And I didn't stop at just one.
Hexie Pillow Group
I made 5, and donated them as door prizes for the Utah Deaf Blind Parents Conference. I plan on making more as I get more hexies pieced, and hopefully will have some listed in my shop at some point this year. These also fit 12" pillow forms.
--------------
I'm excited I already have a lovely Mini Dresden Mug Rug to share with you. My friend Cheryl at Ladybug Lane whipped up this adorable Halloween version Sunday (see, quick and easy project!). Season mug rugs! I like it! Be sure to go check it out!

2 comments:

  1. Esas abejas están hermosas en los hexágonos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cushions! I love the little bee one - so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!
I get a lot of spam, so I apologize for the word verification. I moderate comments on older posts, so it may take a short while to appear. Thanks!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips