Saturday, September 28, 2013

Isla's Garden

{The first of a few posts this week, finally get back on track!}

One of my best friends, Marcy, is expected a baby girl this winter. Marcy decided on a purple and bright green color scheme for Isla's nursery, and we quickly decided the lilac color way of Joel Dewberry's Aviary 2 was the perfect fabric.
Isla's Garden
Isla's Garden Close Up Isla's Garden Back
For this quilt I modified the All Tied Up pattern by Jeni Baker that appeared in Quilty July/August 2013 edition. Because the quilt was so much smaller than Jeni's I decided to add more bows at regular intervals. I love how the large honeycomb pieces show off the fabric, but it made for a challenge when quilting. I started out the quilting by stitching 1/4" away from the seams, but because of the honeycombs I ended up sewing diagonal lines through the quilt as well to secure the entire quilt. I like how it worked out. 
The quilt finished at roughly 39". I used Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 Batting (my new favorite when it's finished, though I really do prefer how clingy and easy to quilt Warm & White is, the drape is just so much pretty with the 80/20.) and white Aurifil 50wt thread. I finished it on August 15, 2013.

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. I do love this fabric in this particular colour way - those greens get me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful!! I love that these colours are for a baby quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the patterns and colors in this collection - perfect for that nursery, it sounds like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! I like the quilting, especially the diagonal bits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this quilt, the colors and design look absolutely lovely. Hope mine using Dr. Seuss fabric turns out also.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!
I get a lot of spam, so I apologize for the word verification. I moderate comments on older posts, so it may take a short while to appear. Thanks!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips