Saturday, September 14, 2013

A not so quick catch up!

{I apologize for the post full of stuff. I meant to do better blogging....hopefully I can get back in the swing of things!}

First - and most important! This adorable girl started Kindergarten at the public school a couple of weeks ago, and she LOVES it!!! It has been so good for all of us, and I feel zero guilt. We do her little homework packet together in the afternoons, and somehow it is so much easier than homeschool lessons ever were. And suddenly she just knows how to write letters. Zero frustration!! And B gets quiet time alone which she absolutely loves or can talk to mommy without having to talk over Katy, and I get things done (like her hair, which never happened when we were home all day). =)
Untitled
The majority of my work the past two weeks has been putting finishing touches on our basement project. It has been a long time coming, and we've learned we aren't really big DIY people when it comes to finishing/remodeling things around the house. (Though both hubby and I can rock out some crafty DIY!) 2 years ago hubby framed the walls, did electrical, plumbing,put up sheet rock, etc. But those darn seams between the sheetrock....they just would not go away! It became the room to avoid! But I've got some awesome neighbors who came to the rescue and got it done for us and they did an awesome job! And then I finally got to jump in with my part - painting!
Untitled
Pictures will never do the color justice. It's Valspar Sea Wave and it is FANTASTIC!!  There are just a few things we need to do to call the project 100% done - a door for the water shut off valve and some shelves above the washer, but I've already put up decorations!
Untitled Untitled
I am so in love!
Finishing up painting meant I could finally get all the crap that has been sitting in our school area back where it belongs on the storage shelves. (thankfully this hasn't been sitting around for the past 2 years - the storage shelves were installed last year, I just took it all out so it wouldn't get covered with drywall dust.)
organize
And somehow all of that organization lead to a need to rearrange my sewing area - yay I can now see my mini quilt wall, the window AND my design wall! (And the birdcage got moved over by the chalkboard easel.)
Untitled
And somehow, in the middle of all of the business I managed to FINALLY finish the Giant Star quilt! I started basting in back in July! I finished basting it last week, quilted it in a day, and now it is waiting for somebody to buy it (check FB for an awesome deal, otherwise it's going on Etsy on Monday!)
Untitled
It finished at 70" square. I used fat quarters from Bari J's line Lilly Belle and a whole lot of Kona White.
And finally - this month I was approved to join do. Good Stitches!!! I'm part of the Inspire group, and have already completed my first bee blocks. (And I'm not going to lie, these took longer to make than it did to quilt the giant star!!)
September Inspire at do. Good Stitches bee blocks
Improv Herringbone. Tutorial can be found HERE
---------------------------
One of my online quilting friends, Jenn Michaels, just finished up this fantastic version of Drunk Zebra. After seeing it only in black and white I really want to make my own color version now (add that to the long list of quilts that need to be finished!). The quilt was made for her brother, who is big Packers fan, so she chose green and yellow. The Drunk Zebra pattern can be purchased on Craftsy or on Etsy.
Jenn Michael's Drunk Zebra
I am just so happy with how it turned out that I had to share it with you all! If you've made any quilts from my patterns I'd love to see them (and share them if you'd let me)!!

5 comments:

  1. a lot of work here! I wanna come over and sew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome anytime!! And now that all that work is done (and I even cleaned the rest of the house!) I can get back to sewing.

      Delete
  2. Those improv herring bones are fabulous! And the green zebra looks great as well. Isn't it so nice to be able to paint and enjoy a new color? That girl is just the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, loving your sewing space! I just tidied up my sewing desk and ahhhh... my brain can breathe again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great to hear that making the choice to switch to kindergarden has been a success for you! Now you will have some "you" time a few hours a day :) love your sewing space. So jealous of that ironing board you have set up....I have to make one of those, my regular ironing board just isn't cutting it anymore! Thanks for sharing so many great things today! Fun keeping up with all of you guys on instagram too :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!
I get a lot of spam, so I apologize for the word verification. I moderate comments on older posts, so it may take a short while to appear. Thanks!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips