Sunday, August 25, 2013

Scallops, scallops and more scallops!! {Farmer's Wife}

Part of me hasn't wanted to share this post - I wanted to wait until I could do a big reveal. But I love reading about the process, and I assume others do as well.
And this process has been a VERY long time coming. I started my Farmer's Wife quilt in January of 2012, and with my plans to hand quilt it, it won't be done anytime this year.
Back in March of this year I called it good with making my Farmer's Wife blocks. I stopped at 42 blocks and pieced it into this pretty, pretty top. 
Untitled
And then I started scheming a border. I had A LOT of fabric left over. And then it came to me. Scallops!
scallops
Scallops started coming together in April 2013
I wish I could remember how I figured it out, and how I made my scallops, but I honestly have no clue. I made 2 sizes with the plan to alternate them. And back in April I spent a lot of time working on hand basting them. (My method: iron freezer paper template on back of fabric, take a running stitch around the curve of the template in the seam allowance, then pull so the fabric hugs the template. Give it a good press, remove freezer paper. Ta-da! Pretty scallop ready for applique.) But then it my husband went away for a training and I didn't spend my evenings sitting on the couch watching TV with him, so they got set aside. And I realized I didn't want to wait til he is back home and we are back sitting on our couch to finish them, so I pulled them out last week, and finished up basting. It's really boring.
Basted Scallops 
And then I started appliqueing. Thankfully everything worked according to my plan size wise. I swear the hand appliqueing of the scallops is going faster than basting them did. 
Appliqueing in progress 
I just finished up one strip (with 17 of the 64 scallops!) Right now it's a bit wobbly because my scallops strip ended up a bit too long, I maybe should have smooshed them together a bit more. I really don't want to redo it though...I guess we'll see. But I LOVE it! 
One strip done 17/64 
Here is a close up view, I pressed towards the scallops which just added to the wobble. 
Close up

{I apologize for the poorly lit phone pictures. Fabrics used on my Farmer's Wife quilt are mainly Ruby by Bonnie and Camille, with a few pieces from Bliss and Vintage Modern, and coordinating solids.}

8 comments:

  1. The scallops is the perfect edition. I love in process post too. So, I am happy reading yours!

    Amira @ http://littlemushroomcap.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your border! Gorgeous! (I also wouldn't mind having your HUGE design wall).... :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! I'm glad you shared your progress. I love the scallops and the alternating directions of the blocks. Love the double wedding I see on your wall, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scallops are so pretty the quilt! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep up the good work, the scallops are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I love, love the scallops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still in the middle of my farmers wife - I can't wait for it to be done! The scallops are SO nice as a border. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to use scallops! Hope to see your quilt top finished soon :)

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!
I get a lot of spam, so I apologize for the word verification. I moderate comments on older posts, so it may take a short while to appear. Thanks!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips