Friday, September 14, 2012

'69 Singer

(Pardon the pictures in my cluttery, wood-chipy garage.)

As I hinted at yesterday, I found something awesome at the thrift store. We don't stop very often, but we've been thinking about possibilities for a new TV stand, like an old refinished dresser or something, so I made my husband stop. There wasn't a single dresser, but there was this table with an odd panel on the table.
This thing seriously caught my eye from 20 feet away and I just zeroed in on it. When I got close I thought Maybe it opens up to a platform for a sewing machine.
But lo and behold....a sewing machine!
Oh, it's a Singer, and it doesn't look too bad.
My husband walks over, starts checking it out with me. We look at the price tag, $30? That's all? He tells me to get it if I want it.
I start opening drawers.
Both are packed full of notions. And look the manual is still there! (Also a scissor sharpener, it doesn't work very well.)
The bottom drawer is twice as deep and had tins in it.
The tins were full of:
Buttons. LOTS of buttons.
 Thread - including a lot on those lovely wooden spools.
 Elastic
 And under the tins some sewing magazines from the '70s!
We were starting to feel like the guys on American Pickers - we just had to have this! And so we bought it. 

And then brought it home and I realized I had no idea where I'd put it. Hence the rearranging of my sewing room. 

The hubby opened up the machine and discovered it was spotless inside, not even a little bit of fuzz or dust. And it runs, though it is kind of whiny. We've already replaced a belt and are waiting on one other little part that was plastic and broke, and is being replaced by a nice metal part. 
But all the feet are there, it even has a really awesome seam guide that screws into the base - that is my husband's favorite feature, he thinks it's much smarter than my 1/4" foot, and not just because it is adjustable. I'm fascinated by the extra plate that you change out rather than lowering the feed dogs.

And the table is in great condition. A little wear on the legs, and the bottom drawer sticks a little, but it is all sturdy and functional. 

I just don't think I'd ever sew on it. And we really don't have room for it - because while I did rearrange my sewing room and there is a spot it could go in, I've been thinking we could use another book case. 
So it'll probably be sold, at a price closer to what it's actually worth (and according to Ebay and other local classifieds, it's significantly more than I paid for it.), but still, it was so exciting to come across such an awesome find at the thrift store. 

7 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD!!!! That is like someone's gift to you!!! That is sooooo AMAZING!!!
    Congratulations!! GREAT FIND!!! :)
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got more & more excited as i scrolled down! the buttons! the notions! the sweet magazine! ahhhhh! what a treat! it would have made the owner smile from ear-to-ear knowing her treasures had been appreciated & loved <3 thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! That is so super exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my mother's 1970 Singer in a similar cabinet. I just had it serviced not long ago. The only problem is that the motor heats up and slows down to a stop after awhile but I love the way it sews. I'll be looking for a replacement soon.

    There should be a hook on the underside for the foot pedal. Once in place you operate the foot pedal by pressing your right leg against a drop down lever. That was very cool when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! Andrew has played with the whole thing a lot more than I have, and he kept wondering about that lever.

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated!
I get a lot of spam, so I apologize for the word verification. I moderate comments on older posts, so it may take a short while to appear. Thanks!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips