Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Roots & Wings



We pray that God will fill your heart with dreams
and that faith gives you the courage
to dare to do great things.
We're here for you whatever this life brings,
so let our love give you roots
and help you find your wings.

About 4 years ago I started making this quilt for the baby girl I was expecting. I had made what would become her baby quilt before I'd even gotten pregnant, and bought extra fabric to make this quilt so I could hang it in her nursery. And I actually finished the quilt top shortly after she was born.

My pregnancy with her was a hard one, in which I spent 3 weeks on bedrest in the hospital, an hour away from my husband who was going through a very intense bit of training for the Army. I worked on the scalloped applique in my hospital bed. And then she was born almost 4 weeks early and came with some complications, so the quilt never got finished.
When she was a few months and we'd gotten a handle on being her parents, I revisited the quilt, and drew quilting marking lines on it, basted it, and took a few stitches by hand before realizing how futile this project had become, and it promptly got stored away.

Thankfully in the past few months I've gotten a hang of machine quilting, and now this beautiful quilt is done! The thing that I love about this pattern is that it is called Roots & Wings. When I was expecting her I stumbled across the little poem above, and I embroidered it on the label of her baby quilt (this quilt can be viewed on to 2005-2009 page, just over halfway down, titled Kayten's Quilt). It described exactly our hopes and dreams for her, and I love that it was tied together between both quilts.

Anyway, I'll stop being sentimental and get to the pictures...
I love the scalloped edge, without it actually being scalloped, I've heard that is a nightmare to bind.
My awesome 3D Butterfly! (there are 2, both of the full bodied butterflies are 3D.
That was a challenge, and they are lined with quilt batting.




Simple back, no label yet.
Quilt is for sale here for $150 Sold 2/9/12 =)

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful... No doubt your daughters will cherish this forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely quilt! Thanks for sharing the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!
I get a lot of spam, so I apologize for the word verification. I moderate comments on older posts, so it may take a short while to appear. Thanks!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips