Thursday, October 24, 2013

Palatina Mini Quilt {Blogger Quilt Festival}

I am so excited the Blogger Quilt Festival is here again! It is my favorite!!
Untitled
Last week I finished up this Palatina mini for my partner in the Schnitzel & Boo Mini Swap. You can find a tutorial for this project at There's a Thread. I changed things up just a bit. I did hand applique rather than machine, and trimmed the edges closer to the the pluses, leaving a 1/2" border around the edge.
Untitled
This project was so much fun! I selected all black and white/cream prints for the background and a rainbow spectrum for the pluses.
I used the starch basting method for the pluses, and then hand appliqued them in place. Prepping the pieces took some time, but it is worth it. The pieces held their shape perfectly, and appliqueing them into place was so simple.
Untitled 
I decided to continue with hand work, and hand quilted the mini quilt. I wanted it to have A LOT of texture, and I think I succeeded. =) I did a running stitch following the design of most of the background fabrics. I think this is called seed stitching (google was only half helpful).
Untitled
I left the pluses unquilted and love how they pop.
Untitled
The mini quilt finished at 17" square. I used Hobbs 80/20 Batting. It's already at it's new home, and I am currently working on a second which will be turned into a pillow for another friend.

17 comments:

  1. I love this kind of quilts, hand sewn and hand quilted. It takes time, but it's worth it. Enjoy the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt! Love the fabrics & quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know my feelings about this quilt. :)
    And have I already commented here? I probably have. you know...

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so beautiful! Your swap partner is very lucky indeed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute, love all the texty backgrounds with that saturated colour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes you did! The texture is wonderful and so is the quilt!
    I love the starch basting applique - I took a class from Karen Kay Buckley
    and that's where I learned it. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing work. You have a very lucky partner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this!! Such fun fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love this! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have swooned over this on IG!!! What a lucky partner, the whole quilt and quilting is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the look of the quilting - you're right, the plusses really pop! This must have taken you hours but definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. pretty!! I really love the colors on the nuetral back grounds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a darling wee quilt, lovely fabrics and quilting.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!
I get a lot of spam, so I apologize for the word verification. I moderate comments on older posts, so it may take a short while to appear. Thanks!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips