Tuesday, August 14, 2012

My Studio

Moda Bake Shop is doing a link up to Show Off Your Stash. I decided to take this opportunity to show off my studio, because my stash isn't as exciting. =)

I'm still working out different kinks in the set up, but mostly I just need to get the walls decorated the way I want them now.

So here we have the main work area. We had a folding table stored away in the garage and it only came out for big family dinners, so I decided to commandeer it when I was working on the Largest Quilt She's Ever Made. I realized how great it was to have a big workspace, plus it doubles as my cutting table, so I kept it. In fact I gave it a makeover. More about that later. 
And yes, I have a pair of jeans hanging on my wall. They are 2 size smaller than I currently wear and are there for motivation. So far, it's not working ;)
 Most of my current project storage is in the bookshelf across from my sewing, those baskets are crammed full! And then there are finished quilts waiting to be sold on Etsy, as well as sewing machine storage. The wall above will someday be a design wall.
 My growing stash is sitting on the ledge above my workspace. I have plans of getting the comic book boards and making mini bolts, I just haven't had the time. It'll stay there once it's on bolts, I believe the ledge is just the perfect width for them. And you can see some of the jelly rolls I have awaiting a project. And I love my mini Marmalade quilt so much, I hung it where it would get the most viewing.
 A better view of this shelf. The storage drawers in the corner hold notions and non-quilting crafting items.
 My other shelf is also stuffed full of baskets full of fabric and projects. Taking pictures like these reminds me of my goal for 2012 to not buy any new projects and get ALL of those done. Oops. On top is my knitting basket. Yeah you didn't know I knit, because I really don't, but sometimes in the winter it sounds like the perfect hobby and I pretend to knit for a night or two. I have managed to make a scarf or two, but that is it.
And finally, I know you were wondering what that stack of crap is. That is my to be quilted pile. It is also a sign that I need to do better and completing quilts start to finish before moving on. Oh well. The one on top is half quilted, so that is promising, but there are 6 quilts in the stack.
Well I hope you enjoyed this impromptu tour of my studio. And in case you were wondering, yes it stays pretty clean. The rest of my house gets quite cluttered, esp with little children dragging stuff around, but I am anal about my space and I can't work in a mess. Although, on the other side of this long skinny room which contains my studio, you will find my girls playroom. They've got about 1/3 of the room and the floor is COVERED with Littlest Pet Shop, Little People, dinosaurs, and random bits of playfood and dress up. And sometimes it does spew itself into my area. But that is ok, I like having my girls near me when I sew.

Now it's back to that project you can see on my table - machine piecing hexies!!

-----

I almost forgot to share. Last week I saw this wonderful tutorial about covering a table with decorative vinyl. And immediately wanted to do it to my ugly brown folding table. Of course my Walmart only had a hideous cheeta print decorative vinyl like she used in the tutorial, so I got creative. There was a really pretty lace vinyl, and some cheap pink fabric, so I decided to combine the two. I had to get a little creative on my corners because they are rounded, otherwise I followed the tutorial.

8 comments:

  1. Hello! Thanks for posting on my blog, as it enabled me to explore yours! I enjoyed seeing where you sew, and I'm totally in love with your vintage aqua desk! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and creative space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your space is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your space! The covered table looks great and I'm still drooling over your desk. If I had my jeansthatusedtofit hanging on my wall I would throw darts at them for mocking me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous covered table!! I love your space - especially that ledge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. where did you find the baskets that fit in the IKEA shelf unit? I plan to purchase one and want boxes or baskets for some of the slots.

    I too keep my space orgaized and tidy, as I too cannot sew if it is messy ;-)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your craft studio looks so lovely and comfortable and full of inspiration!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!
I get a lot of spam, so I apologize for the word verification. I moderate comments on older posts, so it may take a short while to appear. Thanks!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips