Monday, January 2, 2012

Farmer's Wife Week 1

 I am so excited to kick off the Farmer's Wife Quilt-a-long! Thanks for joining me, and I hope you all enjoy quilting along with me for the next year!

I started a Flickr group so everybody can share photos of their blocks, so please check it out! If you don't want to participate in the Flickr group, but are blogging about your progress, please share a link in the comments so I can see your progress. I am trying to figure out a link-back-thingamajig.

Block 1 - Attic Window
Block 2 - Autumn Tints
Next week's blocks will be Block #4 and Block #6, I thought we'd do some basic piecing techniques before we dig in with the more challenging blocks. 

8 comments:

  1. OOOH!!! I might get into this! I have a bunch of blocks done, but stalled. It would be nice to get back on track with other people who are doing this at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my 1st time using templates to piece blocks. I'm wondering if anyone else had to trim their blocks down to 6" (I trimmed mine down from 6.75")? Actually, I trimmed mine down to 6.25" because if I had trimmed it too much it wouldn't look right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I've made 4 blocks now and they all finished just slightly bigger than 6".
    Which templates are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I double checked that I'm using the correct templates. I printed them off and then traced them on to cardboard and then traced them, yet again onto my fabric. While making the 2nd block, I was much more aware of where I was cutting (meaning in the center of the traced line, the outside or the inside). So, I cut the fabric on the inside of the line and my 2nd block came out much closer to 6".

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Baby James - I'm glad! The only other thing to do would be to check your seam allowance and make sure that is 1/4"
    I am really horrible about that which is why I had to get a 1/4" guide foot to do the hard work for me. Somehow I still mess it up sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Lindsey. Like I said, this is my 1st time paper piecing and I think it'll just take a little practice. Last night, I made block 4, Basket Weave, and it came out the perfect size. Also, let me introduce myself by my actual name, I'm Jamie, pleased to meet you :) MBJ is my blog. Thanks for hosting this FWQAL. I'm having a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jamie - I just saw your blocks on the flickr group and they look great! I love your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much, Lindsey.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!
I get a lot of spam, so I apologize for the word verification. I moderate comments on older posts, so it may take a short while to appear. Thanks!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips