Wednesday, November 13, 2013

WIP Wednesday!!

Wow it's been awhile since I've participated in WIP Wednesday, but I'm so excited about my current project.

It's an old WIP, I start it about 3 years ago. This quilt was intended to be for my bed, but I was lazy in making it and then discovered Swoon. But now that I have it out again I'm wondering why I put it aside.
image
I had most of the piecing of the blocks finished, so it was basically like assembling 9-patches and went quickly. 
image
While the blocks themselves are very striking, the setting really sets the blocks off in a beautiful way (I feel like I can gush about it, it's not my design, lol). I am not typically a fan of sashings with cornerstones, I usually piece the blocks and vertical sashing in rows and the cornerstones and horizontal sashing in rows then join them together. Ugh. But I got a great tip on instagram this time around - if you sew the sashing to one side and top (or bottom), then join the blocks into rows, it's just like piecing blocks together, and if you need to fussy cut the sashing at all (which I really needed to do), then it makes it much easier. Seriously, life changing! 
image
They came together so beautifully.
imageToday I got started on sewing on borders. There are 3, and they are tedious, but again it's so striking it is worth it. 
image
And once this is all done I'll be doing it again. The original queen size quilt had 25 blocks, but I split it into 2 quilts. This one will be a Christmas gift, the other I will keep for myself. =)

10 comments:

  1. Love the colour choices in this great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this block, and such pretty colors, too. And look at all those prefect corners and points!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really beautiful! Do you know if the pattern is available anywhere? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! How neat that the corner stones make the secondary pattern when the sashing is added in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Lindsey! You never cease to amaze me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow..such a pretty quilt and unbelievably precise, I bet you're glad you've gone back to it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing that great sashing and corner stone tip! That is brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clever idea to turn it into two quilts. I have had that thought before and just haven't executed it yet.

    Have fun with the borders! It is a vibrant beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I love this! The design, the colours. Wish I had the magazine for the block instructions, haha! I often think that three years after something's been published.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!
I get a lot of spam, so I apologize for the word verification. I moderate comments on older posts, so it may take a short while to appear. Thanks!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips