Friday, May 18, 2012

Blogger Quilt Festival - Summer Sampler

Amy's Creative Side

Those of you who follow my blog are all too familiar with this quilt. You watched me work away last summer as each new block was assigned. It is one of my all time favorite quilts, and one that pushed me into a new phase of my quilting life.
Summer Sampler
42" x 55"
Machine pieced and quilted by me Summer 2011
Designers/Patterns can be found here 

It was the first quilt I'd done where I had to use paper piecing (and despite that, I was still flummoxed when it came to paper piecing my Farmer's Wife blocks).
It was also the first quilt I used solids on. I was hesitant at first, but so very happy with the clean crisp look those happy, bright, solids gave the quilt.
I believe it was the 3rd quilt I machine quilted myself. I was so worried that I would ruin it, but I fell in love with a whole new aspect of quilting I'd usually paid somebody else to do. It was so much fun to plan the quilting for each individual block so that I could make it stand out, while still tying the quilt together as a whole.
I also learned how to use every last scrap of fabric in piecing my back and binding.

To see more detailed photos of each block and their names check out this blog post.

Check out all the other HUNDREDS of entries here. =)

25 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful quilt...perfect for summer. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful indeed. I love your label. The colors you chose are perfect, it gives a sense of calmness. Love your quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Smitten with the bold solids popping on white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recognize this quilt! It looks lovely. And the quilting is beautiful. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love samplers, and your use of solids is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only is the front awesome,I love the back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty - and a great use of colour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So inspirational! I missed this QAL last year, and am going to start on the Summer Sampler in a couple of weeks! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colors are magnificent!

    Hope you visit my blog too,

    margaret gunn
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so pretty,i would love to make this quilt but paper piecing scares me. i love the solids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Paper piecing is not as scary as it seems, it is one of my favorite piecing methods now, because you can be so accurate. I link to a really good video tutorial in this post if you are interested in trying it out. http://happierthanabirdquilts.blogspot.com/2012/01/i-paper-piecing.html

      Delete
  11. Great job I like the clean crisp colors
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful. I love paper piecing, always have so it's nice to see you've become a lover, too. The quilt is just bright and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your summer sampler - I feel like your blocks really compliment each other. The back is adorable as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your color choices and your composition. I made the blocks from the summer sampler series as well. It was so much fun but alas I have not put my blocks together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a fondness for sampler quilts - yours is especially pretty with the bright summer colors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, I know I've commented already - but after looking at a lot of other quilts, I always come back to yours. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made a quilt following the summer sampler series. I love your quilt! The colors are gorgeous and I LOVE the binding and the back. =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great quilt! I just tried my hand at paper piecing, and it's a little tricky initially. Well done on your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beauty! To my eye, many times sampler quilts are too confusing looking... But yours has breathing room with all of that white, and because you used solids. Awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just gorgeous! It's one of the few samplers I've seen that I really enjoy. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. love this! so vibrant and what a great pattern. nice quilting and love the back, too. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous quilt! Gotta love a quilt done in solids! It's gorgeous! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!
I get a lot of spam, so I apologize for the word verification. I moderate comments on older posts, so it may take a short while to appear. Thanks!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips