Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Spiffing Stripes

I just finished up this custom quilt for my wonderful cousin Annie. It is a queen size 1600s/Jam Bars quilt (1600 because that is what I found searching for something like it online, Jam Bars, because it is like the quilt I made a few years ago), made with 2 1/2" strips of varying shades of black, grey, creamy white, and that gorgeous chartreuse green. And I quilted it myself, which I am proud to say I accomplished on my little Viking machine.
Enjoy! {And pardon the messy room}


I'd happily made a quilt like this again. If you are interested, just send me an email happierthanabird@gmail.com

---------
More details:
It is an oversized queen, and I used the same method on it as I did on my 1600 quilt tutorial, and just kept going until I felt it was the right size. I did not use jelly rolls, I bought various amounts of yardages of 14 different fabrics. Mostly 1/2 yard cuts, some 1/4 and some 3/4 or 1 yard depending on how much of that print we wanted in it. I don't know for sure, but I had at least 8 yards of fabric, might have been closer to 9 or 10, I really cannot remember. And that it just for the quilt top. Here is a photo of most of my fabric selection
The main body of the quilt has 38 strips (if I counted correctly from the photo). It would have ended up being a bit wider than I wanted at that point, so for the last section I was sewing together I just went to my desired width and cut off the excess. Then I put a solid green stop border around the entire thing, still 2 1/2" inches wide, and then I went around the entire quilt 3 more times with my random black and grey and white fabrics, and finished it off with another 2 1/2" in border of green (so 48 strips from top to bottom). The pieced section on the back is because of the extra I had from the strips.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Can't wait to see more of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What size is this finished? I am wanting to make one with greens and purple jelly rolls, but can't find a measurement anywhere. I understand I may need to add borders, but I am looking for a guideline. Was this made with each jelly roll with a single color in it? Thanks in advance for your help.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated!
I get a lot of spam, so I apologize for the word verification. I moderate comments on older posts, so it may take a short while to appear. Thanks!

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips